So in order to accomplish something like this I created an html form; put the flash div within the form (along with the js call to render); and then used ExternalInstance to trigger the function call on(release) within flash. FireFox worked like the trooper it is. Then comes that dreaded IE 7 test. All aboard the failboat! Every time I get the same stupid error on Line 1: "savebutton" is not defined (savebutton was what I named my flash movie). WTF. I tried everything and traced every variable/function call but nothing. After much Google digging I came upon this article by Steve Kamerman:
He said that IE has a nifty little bug where it can not reference a flash movie properly within a form tag. This was both extremely disheartening as well as a great joy. My flash button was the submit button so I just moved it as well as the flash div that I call in swfobject after the closing form tag and it worked! Thanks Steve for the hint!